Cole Petty Scholarship
Requirements: Southmont graduate, interest in agriculture
The family of Cole Petty created a scholarship fund in his memory for graduates of Southmont High School. Cole entered Southmont High School in his junior year and immediately found his niche. He said, “I now go to the best school on earth.” He truly blossomed there, loved his teachers, and enjoyed a wide circle of friends. He joined the FFA where he could further develop his love of anything related to agriculture. Cole loved the outdoors, hunting and fishing, and was fearless around anything that slithered or walked on four legs. He went on to study at Purdue University and during his time there, he also completed the Officer Candidate School with the United States Marine Corp. This scholarship is non-renewable.
• Be a graduate in good standing from Southmont High School by the end of June of the year in which the application is filed
• Must have completed a minimum of ten (10) trimesters by the application deadline to be eligible to apply for the Cole Petty Scholarship
• Be a resident of Montgomery County, Indiana
• Be accepted into and attend an accredited two-year or four-year public or private college or university, or an accredited technical or trade school
• Preference will be given to students who demonstrate an interest in and/or exposure to agriculture related fields, and/or who have experience in the FFA or 4-H
• Complete the online MCCF Standard Scholarship application - due January 15, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
• In addition to the standard essay questions, be prepared to answer the following essay questions (300 word maximum each): “How can you demonstrate your interest in agriculture related fields? For example, what classes have you taken, what clubs have you joined, or any other examples that show this particular interest?” and “What particular obstacles have you overcome in life in order to succeed? For example, a physical disability, financial hardship, difficult environment, etc.”